Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thursday's Secret Garden

Stanford's Secret Cactus Garden



This secret garden did not require me to leap tall gates in a single bound or put my hand and camera thru security fences. No police roaming the area...only dog walkers and joggers.
Oddly it's official name is the Arizona Garden and can be found on the Stanford University campus.


It's still a surprise when you find this place. I first saw it a few years ago when it was only partially restored. It was originally planted in the 1880's for the Stanford family. The planned house next to it was never built and the garden itself was overgrown and forgotten around the 1920's. Restoration was started in 1997. I liked the prehistoric look of it when I first found it. It's a little too pristine for me now but still feels creepy on overcast or rainy days.


You can read more about it's history here and here and of course the pictures are better.

I've also been "tagged" by Susan at A Slice of Life for my first MeME.....Susan, I'm working on it - honest! Susan's daughter has just started her own blog The Amazingly, Interesting Life of Me and I think someone should rush over there and tag her with a MeME.

8 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Jay said...

A cactus garden. How cool. Don't see any of those around here. Were you tempted to try to touch one of them and see how shard the needles are?

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger saz said...

Nope - was very good and stayed on the path. But some of these old plants are truly wild looking...trees are cool too.

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Alan G said...

Wow...can't believe that is on a college campus. But then I don't get out much. :)

I saw a cactus type garden somewhere in my roaming but don't have a clue where it was. It was nothing like that. Thanks for the photos - enjoy learning about places like that.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Betty said...

That cactus garden is amazing. I'd love to see it.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger F&W said...

Well that is just too cool. I guess it's open to anyone wanting to wander? I'll have to put it on my list of things to see/visit.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous susan said...

YOu notice the most interesting things. I think that I would walk by, think it's nice and that would be the end of it. You take to the time to share with us and point out it's beauty. That's a good thing.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger goldenlucyd said...

Wow Saz! Your blog is looking awesome. I can't believe you've been at it for such a short time. Kudos, dear, kudos!
The Arizona garden is pretty surreal--though it was probably more interesting befor it was sanitized for the neatnik and conventional public. I like prehistoric and creepy myself. (And that's not just because I are one.)
I'm stuggling with pictures and my blog but am determined to do as much as I can myself. The kids always try to take over if I ask for much help. Sometimes they forget I'm not dead yet.

Keep up the great work, Saz, and keep posting the great pics and links.

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Roger Bourland said...

This is amazing because there is one at CalPoly in San Luis Obispo that is almost identical. At least it was the last time I was there. Good stuff!
Roger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home